FIRST TERM EXAMINATION, 2010/2011 SESSION.
SUBJECT: LITERATURE IN ENGLISH
CLASS: SSS 1 TIME ALLOWED: 2:HRS
INSTRUCTION : ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. One of the main of satire is________________ through ridicule
(a) correct (b)to embarrass (c)to provoke fun (d)to sensitize.
2. A play that deals with only humour and laughter is called_____________
(a) farce (b)pantomine (c)comedy (d)tragedy.
3. The clothes worn by the cast in a drama is called_________________
(a)apparels (b)culottes (c)costumes (d)dresses
4. A piece of writing or speech that attacks or ridicules another person in a spiteful way is
called____________(a)parody (b)innuendo (c)satire (d)lampoon
5. A character of humour who is used to bring about laughter and relief in a tight play to
entertain is called______________(a)pantomime (b)clown (c)mad man (d)writer
6. _______________ is the name given to the whole body of actors and actresses on stage.
(a)Drama (b)cast (c)sonnet (d)spectator
7. A period in a tense plot that brings in laughter and humour in order to relief tension is known
as______________ (a) recess (b)comic relief (c)silent acting (d)anxiety
8. Another name for a clown is ___________________
(a)jester (b)brother (c)poet (d)actor
9. Meisosis is the same as _________________
(a)Litotes (b) Zeugma (c)pun (d)Onomatopoeia
10. "The child is the father of the man" .
The dominant figure of speech in the above is___________
(a)Oxymoron (b)synecdoche (c)paradox (d)meton
11. "Tolu heard the roaring of the Lion in the Zoo" The dominant device above is _____________
(a)Personification (b) onomatopoeia(c)descriptive (d)metaphor
12. A comedy is a play in which_______________________
(a)nobody dies (b)there is a happy ending (c)there is real laughter (d) the hero is a clown
13. Catharsis is the same as ______________
(a)flash back (b)denonment (c)allegory (d)prologue
14. A term used in describing an effective choice of words in a literary work is ____________
(a)dipthong (b)diction (c)denotation (d)dialogue
15. The moment of heightened tension in a work of art is called________________
(a)denoument (b)climax (c)conflict (d) anti-climax
16. The recall of past events in order to explain the present in a literary work is called _________
(a)recall (b)remembering (c)recapitulations (d)flash-back
17. Melody's shoes sounded click, click, click down the corridor. The dominant device above is____________ (a)personification (b)descriptive (c) narrative (d)onomatopoeia
18. His cartoons mercilessly________________ the leading politician of his time
(a)lampoon (b)fable (c)bathos (d) pun
19. Heaven is hell, hell is heaven. This is an example of ______________
(a)chiasmus (b)pun (c)Litotes (d) anti-thesis.
20. One of these is not a figure of speech
(a)metaphor (b)paradox (c)simile (d)drama
21. Nigeria won the cup. Is an example of __________________
(a)Synecdoche (b)assonance (c)oxymoron (d)sarcasm
22. We study Literature in School because it __________________
(a)provides a means to kill time (b)exposes students to life realities (c)provides readers with
entertainment (d)teaches readers the use of words
23. Identify the odd literary device from the list below
(a) enjambment (b)plot (c)rhyme (d)alliteration
24. When a question is asked in a piece of work without an answer being sought, such a question is known as__________________ question.
(a)rhetorical (b)paradoxical (c)leading (d)pointed
25. The recalling of past events or action in order to shed more light on the present is known as______________ in Literature.
(a)flash forward (b)flash back (c)flash on (d)flash down
26. The prologue in a literary composition is at the________________
(a)end (b)middle (c)beginning (d)none of the above
27. The literary tem that describe the place and year a novel is written is called_____________
(a)setting (b)plot (c)style (d)narratives technique